When you are planning on cleaning your home of mold, you may want to know if you should use the air conditioning system to cool your house down. After all, there are many benefits to using this system in your home, but if you do, there are some things you should keep in mind.
Cleaning air ducts
If you have a mold problem, you may need to have your air ducts cleaned. The good news is that it is possible. A professional can handle it, and you will be rewarded with a healthier home.
Air ducts are part of your HVAC system. They circulate the air in your house and provide fresh air. However, they are also a source of contaminants. Your ducts are full of pollutants blown into your home when the heat or air conditioning is turned on. These contaminants can include smoke, dust, and pet dander.
Ducts can also become damaged. This damage can cause mold to grow. It is essential to have your ducts cleaned before attempting to remove mold. Also, if you have an existing mold problem, cleaning your ducts may be the only way to get rid of it.
There are several different types of mold. Black mold is dangerous and can have adverse health effects. White mold, on the other hand, is usually harmless.
Although you may be inclined to perform your air duct cleaning, it is recommended that you call in the pros. Professional cleaners are safer and can ensure that all the ducts are clean and free of mold.
You can also look into purchasing a mold test kit. It will show you the best ways to clean your ducts. In addition to helping you to detect mold, these kits will also tell you whether your ducts are leaking and where to look for them.
While a clean duct will not eradicate your mold problem, it will help to decrease the chances of it growing in the first place. Additionally, considering purchasing a home, it’s a good idea to have your ducts cleaned before moving in.
There are many different types of UV lights available on the market. You will want to choose the right one for your specific needs.
A germicidal UVC lamp is ideal for visibly dirty cleaning surfaces. These are available in a variety of sizes. The effectiveness of a UVC lamp depends on its wattage and distance from the target.
When buying the best UVC lamp for your needs, it’s essential to determine how much mold you have in your home. The higher the dose of UVC, the more influential the light will be in killing mold.
Although UV lights can be an effective weapon in your arsenal against mold, it’s not something you should use to resolve an unsolved water issue. This is particularly true if your mold problem results from an improperly vented HVAC system.
To ensure you are using the correct UV lamp, wear gloves. Also, position it about two inches away from any mold-infested area.
In addition to a UV lamp, seal any gaps around windows. This is especially important if you have pets in the house.
It’s also a good idea to use an enclosure to prevent the spread of unwanted radiation. Another good idea is to invest in a hazard warning sign. You may be in for a rude awakening if you have an unsightly sunspot.
The benefits of UV light during mold removal far outweigh the negatives. Besides the obvious fact that it kills mold, it can help stamp down any further disease growth.
While at it, you can also keep your eyes healthy with sunscreen.
Ionization air purifiers
Ionization air purifiers are an excellent way to get rid of mold spores. These spores can be found in any household and cause health problems when inhaled. Mold needs moisture and a food source to grow.
Activities in the home can stir up the spores. They will spread through the air when enough of them are stirred up. It is hard to get rid of these particles on the floor. You can clean them with a dusting cloth or by wiping them.
In addition to removing spores, ionization air purifiers can also remove bacteria, viruses, and other pollutants. This is especially important for people with respiratory conditions like asthma and allergies.
Some ionizers also come with fans in them. They can be reticent and are not as noisy as HEPA-filtered purifiers. Having a fan inside can make the ionizers more effective. However, some of them can produce ozone, which can be harmful.
There is a small risk that ozone will damage your lungs. Ozone is a lung irritant and can exacerbate existing respiratory conditions. Asthma and allergies can worsen if your room’s ozone levels are high.
While an ionizer is not always the best option for mold removal, it can help. An ionizer works on the principle of charging the particles and making them heavier. That makes them cling to something else in the room.
Air ionizers can be more cost-effective than HEPA air purifiers. Also, they do not require filters to be changed. Their biggest drawback is that they need to clean rooms as large as HEPA-filtered purifiers can.
An ionizer may have a positive impact on allergies. However, HEPA-filtered cleaners are more effective for mold removal.
Shutting off the ac
If you have mold in your air conditioning system, it is time to get rid of it. Fortunately, there are several steps you can take to rid your home of the problem.
The best way to start is to ensure the unit is clean and dry. This requires you to remove the team from its window in many cases. You can use a screwdriver to unscrew the grille cover or individual vents.
Next, you should vacuum the unit to remove dust and debris. This will make the job easier. Wearing protective eyewear and gloves is also essential.
Another helpful tip is to find out which part of the air conditioner is causing the problem. For example, if the front grille is covered with fuzzy mold, you might have to call a professional.
Consider buying a unit with humidity control. This will reduce the chances of mold growth.
Also, you should check out your air ducts. Some may have small dark spots caused by a buildup of mold.
When ready to clean your AC, be prepared to invest time and effort. Fortunately, it doesn’t have to cost a fortune. A trip to your local hardware store can help you stock up on the necessary tools.
One of the most effective ways to remove mold is using bleach and water. These two compounds are great for cleaning moldy surfaces and should be used in moderation. Using them with a good scrubbing brush and decent elbow grease will make the job a breeze.
Of course, if you need more time, money, or inclination to take care of your air conditioning unit, you can call Aladdin’s to do it for you. Their technicians know how and have the equipment to do the job right.
Exposure to mold spores
Mold spores are tiny organisms that are found everywhere. They can grow on wood, carpet, and many other materials. However, some people are allergic to them and will experience symptoms like watery eyes, coughing, wheezing, and a runny nose.
Most mold spores are harmless. But a person with a severe allergy can become very harmful. Some people can even develop lung infections from inhaling large mold spores. If you suspect you may have an allergy to mold, it is a good idea to consult your doctor.
Molds can also produce toxins called mycotoxins. These toxic chemicals can trigger serious illnesses, especially in sensitive individuals. A blood test, known as a radioallergosorbent test, determines whether you are affected by mold.
Although most people can breathe in large quantities of mold spores without experiencing health problems, it is essential to be aware of the risks. You may experience symptoms as early as hours after exposure when exposed to mold spores.
Molds are found on many different surfaces but are most common in damp areas, such as basements, bathrooms, and kitchens. The presence of mold can indicate that your home has a moisture problem. Excessive moisture can result from leaky pipes, flood damage, or high humidity.
You should not use chlorine bleach or detergents with ammonia when cleaning any room with mold. Instead, it would help if you used disinfectants that are adequately ventilated. Chlorine bleach can kill mold, but you should not mix it with other solutions, as it could cause more harm than good.
If you have mold in your home, it is essential to remove it. Dead mold can be hazardous to your health, so it is best to get it cleaned up.